With colder months entering the rearview mirror, it’s never too early to prepare your home and property for pest season. Here in Southern Louisiana, our warm, moist environment can create a haven for pests in the spring and summer. Summer pest control begins in the spring! At LaJaunie’s Pest Control, we want to help you mitigate the chances of an infestation. Here’s how you can prep your home for pest season.
How to Prep the Exterior of Your Home for Spring and Summer
Protecting your yard from pests will not only allow you to enjoy your yard better this spring and summer, but it will also help prevent pests from finding their way indoors. Keep these pest prevention tips in mind!
- Eliminate standing water on your property. Mosquitoes lay eggs on standing water, so by eliminating sources of standing water in your yard, you will help to prevent them from breeding on your property. This is also an important step in preventing fire ants. Examples of standing water include gutters and drains, bird baths, pet water bowls, and tarps. Keep your swimming pool covered when not in use.
- Pick up any wood lying on the ground under and around your home. And don’t forget to store firewood away from your home. This is important for termite and carpenter ant prevention.
- Seal holes, cracks, and gaps around the outside of your house. This is also known as exclusion and will help keep common spring pests such as centipedes, ants (including fire ants), and spiders from infesting your home. It will also prevent stinging insects such as bees and wasps from making nests.
- Keep up with landscaping. This includes cutting your grass, trimming bushes and trees, weed control, and adding a buffer between mulch and the foundation of your house. Each of these steps will make your yard and home less accessible for pests including ticks, termites, and carpenter ants.
- Check and clean your gutters. Gutters are a popular place for pests to breed and nest including mosquitos, bees and wasps, ants, cockroaches, and termites. Springtime is the best time to do this.
- Eliminate debris and trash in your yard. This helps eliminate food sources and hiding places for pests. Keep garbage cans covered and check spaces under your porch and deck.
How to Prep the Interior of Your Home for Spring and Summer
Even if you create a strong line of defense against pests outside of your home, there’s still a chance pests will make their way inside this spring – if they weren’t there already. (Remember, in a previous blog post, we discussed pests that overwinter here in Louisiana.) Keep these indoor pest prevention tips in mind this spring.
- Keep your house clean and tidy. It’s a great time for spring cleaning and beyond that, keeping your house clean. This includes keeping kitchen counters, sinks, tables, and floors clean every day, cleaning dishes, crumbs, and spills right away, and vacuuming regularly. This will go a long way in ant and cockroach prevention.
- Reduce moisture and humidity in your home. People don’t like humidity, but pests do especially cockroaches, silverfish, centipedes, earwigs, and mosquitoes. Just like you should eliminate standing water outside your home, eliminate it inside your home, too This includes leaky faucets and pipes, around sinks, tubs and toilets, crawlspaces, and basements.
- Eliminate clutter wherever possible. This helps get rid of hiding places for undesirable pests such as centipedes, cockroaches, and spiders.
- Store food in sealed containers. Leaving food out attracts ants and cockroaches. Eliminating pests’ food sources helps keep them away.
- Repair any holes in screen doors and windows. And while you’re doing this, double-check window frames and tracks dents and damage, and fill any gaps around door and window frames with caulk.
How a Pest Control Company Helps You Prepare Your Home for Pest Season
Here in New Orleans and the surrounding areas, spring is an important – yet demanding – time for pest prevention. Taking the steps above can help prevent pest infestations this spring. But if they aren’t enough, a local, professional pest control company like LaJaunie’s Pest Control can help. Our recurring pest control treatments have long-lasting results. Our licensed exterminators do the following:
When you partner with us, your professional exterminators will do the following:
- Conduct a thorough, free pest inspection
- Create a customized treatment plan
- Apply exterior treatments
- Apply interior treatments to address current pest infestations
- Spot-treat any existing issues
We offer same-day service and Saturday service, plus a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Give us a call at 985-859-7378 or contact us here for your free pest control estimate. And don’t forget to check back with us in a few weeks – we’ll list common Southern Louisiana spring pests and how we can eliminate them!