- Stinging insects (bees, wasps, hornets)
Let’s dive into the threats each of these poses and how a local pest control company like LaJaunie’s Pest Control can help you prevent or get rid of them.
Ants are a common spring pest here in Southern Louisiana. Most types of ants are not dangerous, but they are nuisance pests that can invade your home quickly and contaminate food. However, the following ants are found in New Orleans and the surrounding area, and they are dangerous and harmful:
- Carpenter ants are wood-destroying pests that can cause damage to your home or property if they aren’t controlled. They’re often confused with termites.
- Fire ants bite and sting and are aggressive when stinging and injecting venom.
- Pharaoh ants have the ability to spread illnesses.
Knowing how to identify the types of ants that exist in your area can help you take action to get rid of an infestation quickly. A local pest control company can also help with pest identification during a free inspection.
How to prevent ants
Prevention is the best way to avoid an ant infestation. Follow these ant prevention tips this spring:
- Prevent indoor sources of food by making sure all food is stored tightly in airtight storage containers.
- Clean up all spilled foods and liquids immediately.
- Store garbage in tight containers or bins with lids. and remove garbage regularly.
- Prevent moisture buildup indoors.
- Properly seal the exterior of your home.
- Prevent outdoor sources of food, water, and moisture.
- Eliminate all possible points of entry to your house with caulk and use screens on windows and doors.
How to get rid of ants
Even after taking steps to prevent an ant infestation, these persistent marchers may still make their way inside. Take the following steps to get rid of ants in your home:
- Use ant baits and traps.
- Spray the affected area.
- Spray the ant colony directly.
- Hire a local pest control company.
You can find cockroaches in Louisiana all year round, but heat, moisture, and humidity in the spring and summer months bring about increased cockroach activity, especially in urban areas. There are five types of cockroaches found in Southern Louisiana, and a professional pest control company can help identify which ones:
- American cockroaches
- Brown-banded cockroaches
- German cockroaches
- Oriental cockroaches
- Surinam cockroaches
Not only are cockroaches creepy and crawly, but they are also dangerous. They can contaminate food, carry pathogens, and produce a chemical that can cause allergic reactions in humans.
How to prevent and get rid of cockroaches
Cockroaches are clever, opportunistic pests, and can find their way into your New Orleans area home and infest quickly. Keep these roach prevention tips in mind:
- Seal off all entry points.
- Remove access to food and water in your home. (Roaches are not picky eaters!)
- Keep your home clean and tidy. Roaches can invade any home but prefer clutter, dirty kitchens, and bathrooms.
You can try and get rid of cockroaches in your home yourself by using traps, but remember, if things get out of hand, a professional pest control company can help with a cockroach infestation!
With the amount of rainfall we get here in Southern Louisiana, mosquitoes love warmer temperatures in the spring and summertime. We don’t like mosquitoes because they are annoying, they cause itchy bites, and they spread killer diseases, as well.
Mosquito safety and prevention tips
The best way to keep mosquitoes away from your home and yard is to follow these mosquito prevention and safety tips:
- Keep roof gutters clean
- Eliminate or replace standing water when possible.
- Keep swimming pools covered when not in use.
- Use EPA-registered insect repellents to protect yourself.
- Use screens on doors and windows and make sure they are repaired.
- Avoid going outdoors during peak active mosquito hours – dawn and dusk.
For more information about mosquitoes – including which common mosquito repellents and treatments work and don’t work, check out our Louisiana mosquito guide.
Why you need professional mosquito control
A local, professional pest control company will start by inspecting your yard to find out where mosquitos are breeding and harboring. Then, they will perform a barrier spray treatment with a backpack fogger to gain the best control possible. This kills adult mosquitoes on contact, and the dried residue will help protect you and your family for up to 21 days. LaJaunie’s Pest Control also offers You can get recurring treatments or one-time treatments for effective mosquito control for outdoor events.
Wasps, bees, and hornets are very active this time of the year. They are helpful to the environment because they pollinate plants and crops, plus protect gardens and landscapes from other pests. However, many of us are afraid of them because of the experience of being stung or the fear of being stung.
Bees and wasps prevention tips
While they mainly live outside, stinging insects can also build nests inside in dark, warm, dry areas such as attics, crawl spaces, ducts and vents. If these insects come inside looking for food, they may decide to stick around, and they are invasive. Here are a few steps you can take to prevent bees, wasps and other stinging insects from entering your home:
- Avoid over-planting flowering vegetation close to your home.
- Cover outdoor garbage cans with tight-fitting lids.
- Repair or replace any door or window screens that are not intact.
- Cover your chimney with caps.
- Seal holes around the exterior of your home and place weather stripping around all doors and windows.
- Fill in any holes found on your lawn.
- Remove any debris from your property including tree stumps and fallen trees.
Signs of a bees, wasps or hornets infestation
Bees and wasps are invasive, can cause structural damage, and may be dangerous for you and your family. It’s important to keep an eye out for signs of an infestation including large amounts of bees and wasps around you all the time while you’re outside, a concentration of them in a single area or buzzing sounds inside your walls or ceilings. If you suspect that you have an infestation, give a local professional pest control company a call. They can help with safe removal.
Our subtropical climate is ideal for termites, who swarm in the spring and are at full force in the summertime. The types of termites that are most common in New Orleans and the surrounding area are drywood termites and subterranean termites, including the super-destructive Formosan subterranean termite. Check out our Guide to New Orleans Termites for more detailed information on termite season, types of termites, signs of termite infestation and more!
The best advice to prepare for termite season in New Orleans is to have a pest control company inspect your home and trees, as your neighbor might be the source of an infestation. Getting ahead of an issue before it progresses is always the best course of action.
How to protect your home from termites
Protecting your Louisiana home from termites should begin with a termite inspection by a pest management professional, followed by a proper treatment depending on the situation. But there are some steps you can take to protect your home from termites ahead of termite season:
- Turn off outdoor lights at night to avoid attracting swarmers
- Remove all wood, cardboard, and other cellulose-containing materials from around or under your home.
- Keep mulch 8-12” from the foundation or perimeter of your home
- Repair dripping or leaky faucets and fix leaks in your roof or pipes
- Make sure water drains away from your house
- Use a licensed and certified pest management professional for termite treatments
Professional help for dealing with spring pests
LaJaunie’s Pest Control proudly serves communities in Southern Louisiana including New Orleans and the River Parishes. Reach out to us this spring for help ahead of the busy pest season. We offer free inspections and recurring pest control treatments for long-lasting results. Give us a call at 985-859-7378 or contact us here to learn more.